akane-san's song thread(new song cake town)

I didn’t even realise that someone put awesome up there… and fine I guess

cough cough wheeze splutter cough wheeze

cough hack wheeze hack cough cough

Why are we sick again?

https://www.notessimo.net/?id=64151

first collab that i’ve finished :D

u spelt collab wrong noob

I couldn’t fit collab in the title (character limit)

Repetitive, but good! The last chord could have been louder!

Okay since you just want your westward expansion thing review and whatnot, here.

The beginning was a bit too short, but everything about it was sounding pretty good.

The part where the flutes and etc. and even everything after made me cringe. First of all, ideas were randomly spread. No clear cut melody or bass were there. In fact, sometimes there wasn’t even a bass. Also, the ocarina was a tad bit too loud in sheet 8.

The second thing about this song that I just don’t like is how you don’t expand [hehe] on an idea enough. You just let it play for one sheet or so then bam, it’s gone with no transition. For example, the french horn/trumpet/tuba part in sheet 0 never came back even though it posed a bit as a chorus. And although songs don’t need a chorus, this one felt like is needed at least one more sheet replayed. Don’t worry, it’s not gonna become super repetitive if you have a chorus, you just really needed some melody to be played somewhere again [and where it fits].

The third thing… well actually I don’t have one. The song is pretty darn good.

Okay so uh suggestions/things I may have missed:

• Present and organize your ideas more better by either repeating it somewhere [recommend] or playing it longer [nope].
  • Keep transitions smooth.
  • Volume control. Your judgment should be good enough, but maybe you should post a demo.

In star’s scale: 3.9/5

I only have one thing to say… h&ll… its about time (if you don’t get the refrence then I am dissapoint).

caketown song IM SOO HAPPY IT GOT FEATURED… this marks my first featured song… and without a request (actually I was about to request it for a feature in the thread at some point in time but the people at chatzy beat me :L).

Okay, I just realized I’m really tired right now. It’s like 2 am here on the eastern seaboard, so this is as close as it gets to a drunk review from me XD

So I understand you were trying to imitate Grant Kirkhope in this one? I’m not as big a fan of his work as I probably should be, but the stuff I have heard is usually quite fun to listen to. He really captures the playful spirit in his music, which is probably why most of the older gamers that listened to his themes remember them so well, it’s music aimed at the more childish side of humans. By no means am I insulting his music, once you take a deeper look you find that the music is quite well made, which makes imitating him quite a challenge.

Alright so when I first heard the song, the one thing I couldn’t get out of my head was the word empty. This song lacks a good backup to really fill the speakers of my laptop. But as I just said, it was on my laptop, so I popped downstairs and grabbed a headset so I could give the song a proper listen. The difference isn’t usually as big as it was in this song, mostly due to panning. Which, while I’m on the subject, I thought was done rather well. Usually panning is delicate, you can’t pan too much one way without risking a huge imbalance. The instruments you choose are all smooth enough that this isn’t as big a problem as it normally would be.

And then sheet 8 came along…and sorta ruined the smoothness of the song. The fast arpeggio played by the marimba may fit the style of song well, but I think it’s a little too distracting and not supportive enough to be justified. I will say that I loved the trumpet part in the song though.

I loved sheet 7’s fill. It really helped the otherwise non-present drum beat to gain some recognition. I mean the drumming is optimized for a smooth song flow, but a high-hat would be nice. Oh, and I didn’t like the drum beat in sheet 2 (and any like it). The bass drum isn’t loud enough to establish the on-beat. BUT MY GOSH THAT LOW WOODWIND IS GREAT SOUNDING.

Sheet 4. Again, I don’t like the abrupt nature of the marimba compared to the nice flowing nature of almost all the other instruments, but here at least it’s playing lead and not trying too hard to get noticed.

Even though I feel the super fast arpeggios in sheet 11 are a tad unnecessary, they are better than the previous ones solely because they are played on a flute. Although, I will say the earlier arpeggio was more creatively made, it was just too loud.

Oh, and when sheet 14 does come along, the drum beat fits in a lot better when there’s more going on over it.

So from around here the song repeats itself. Considering the length of the song, it’s fine by me, especially since it’s supposed to loop anyway. Good job returning it.

On the job of emulating Grant Kirkhope, I think you did a fine job. Sounds quite similar to his style.
On the job of making a great song, I would say you did even better. The song is one of the least repetitive I’ve heard in a while, and it’s not random either. It’s a fun, light song that leaps from section to section without error or pause. 4.2/5

yay for eyesore blue
also I did not intend to reply in any way as to create an excuse for the criticisms.

It was good! Just not my taste.

more of a pie person aren’t you?
jk but I mostly wanted to try and make a song sounding like grant kirkhopes songs because I wanted to implement some of his things into my songs, the only thing I really wanted to implement from him was creating varients of the same melody to ease repetitiveness… so this song only has 2 individual melodies… the rest are varients. But I think im gonna find that hard to do with non light songs.

Well you have to realize that I made that review at 2:30 last night.

I think the Marimbas compliment the idea of “this is supposed to sound like Grant Kirkhope.” I just don’t like them as part of the song itself, and in actuality the slowed down part with the marimbas playing lead is done well.

As for the more gong over it (in sheet 14)…I guess I felt the trumpets and tuba were louder and the drums have less presence, thus making the section sound better than the other one with the weaker horns and woodwinds.

Like I said, as close as it gets for me to being drunk and writing a review. Not my best stuff but I do stand by the rating.

new song (after how long… 2 months)
http://www.notessimo…spair-v1-r69422
heres the song… I will make a second version according to comments.

Maybe you could make it a bit shorter, I expect some people to get bored. I raised the speed (as an experiment) by only 16.66% and it was a whole minute shorter!

well its based off of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z42GrmR4U2Y .
I don’t think its total time I would shorten but for each section I think I can try to shorten them. (in particular sheet 27). Providing more changes in the song.