Music question

Ok I’m not that good at theory so I have a question …

If I did a song in a chord of A7 that means the chord is A - C - E - G right? So would I still have to raise the seventh (G) during the piece?

No.

So what would you do for a melodic scale?

NOTE: TO ANYONE WHO IS ACTUALLY WELL EDUCATED IN MUSIC THEORY, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SMASH MY ADVICE TO PIECES IF I MAKE A MISTAKE. I COMPLETED ADVANCED RUDIMENTS IN LIKE 2 - 3 MONTHS :frowning:

That’s a dominant 7th chord right? You don’t have to raise the G. Just leave it. What you need to raise is the C. If the chord is in D major, it’s pretty obvious why you have to do it. But if it’s in D minor, you have to raise its leading tone. Either way, the C is raised.

No that’s just a … tonic 7th. The key is A minor.

Oh and I just thought of another question. If I wanted the chord of a minor 3rd say it would be minor, for a major 3rd it would be a major, for a diminished 3rd it would be diminished and for an augmented 3rd it would be an augmented chord, but what would I use for say a perfect 5th? Or have I got everything wrong and mixed up?

Wow fuck. I’ve never learned about building seventh chords on the tonic. My music theory book taught how to write dominant sevenths and diminished sevenths. That was it. Everything else was about writing triads on every degree of a scale. i r n00b :expressionless:

Intervals? Jeez, I hope I don’t screw up this time:

If you increase a perfect interval by one semitone, it’s still called augmented. However if you decrease that perfect interval by one semitone, it goes straight to diminished. No minor. So if you play a double stop consisting of C and G with C being the bottom note, and you decide to drop the G to a Gb, it would be a diminished fifth.

Well I kinda skipped my theory book (all it has mostly is singing and clapping and boring instrument stuff) and got the information off Wikipedia. I might be the noob.

No you misunderstood my question. What chord would you use for a perfect fifth in say a A minor?

I don’t quite understand your question. Are you asking about what you have to raise and lower in a triad to make it minor chord, augmented chord etc?

Ok nvm.

The question is wrong, you wouldn’t use a chord as a perfect fifth, as a perfect fifth is a single note. Let me explain:

A fifth is known better as a power chord, because of it’s high use in rock and roll genres and because in more classical and technical pieces it is not used because it is not considered to be as smooth or sound as good as a regular chord, and because perfect fifths do not distinguish between Major and Minor variations of the same chord. For A minor, the perfect fifth chord is A-E. It’s the same as A Major and no matter what note you use at the bottom, the perfect fifth stays the same whether the note, say…Eb, is in Major or Minor. If you want to get real technical, a perfect fifth is the note on top, and it always lies 7 semi-tones above the lower note. It doesn’t work the other way around, meaning if you took the note E and went seven semi-tones down and found A and put them together, it wouldn’t make an E 5th chord, rather it would only make an A 5th.

To make it easier, just make an A chord (Minor: A-C-E, or Major: A-C#-E) and take out the middle note, which by the way is the only distinguishing note between major and minor chords. Viola-la! You’ve got yourself a perfect fifth.

To all those people here that see problems with my statement, tear it apart. I’m about as good at this as Anthony.

I just re-worded my question wrong. I meant to say “What chord would you use for a dominant chord in say A minor?”.

Oh. You know, for all of you music theory questions, you really should just go to wikipedia for it. Here’s the one for Dominant Chords: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominant_chord

Don’t worry, I’ve already figured it out. (Hence the “Ok nvm.”)

There’s a lot of different 7 chords. If you wanted to raise the G by a half step, then I’m assuming your in A minor since G# is the accidental of A minor. If you want to, you can do it.