Rebirth: A New Life by QVX 797

This was made solely in V2, so i recommend listening with the old player.
However i did make this with the V3 player in mind so both should be fine.

Exactly one year ago, i started this massive project, so i thought today would be an iconic day to publish it xD
I wouldn’t class this as a song, but more of a concept album that all blends together.

It was created around a story that i came up with and the idea of this was to represent that as best as possible without any words.
That being said though, other people may imagine something completely different if they were to listen to it so i won’t be posting the story (assuming other people visualise things from music).

Long story short, this is a conceptual 39 minute long piece of music which has taken me countless hours over the last year to create (There were times where i took a break due to lack of inspiration, hence why it took longer than i thought).

But finally, i’m excited to publish it.

One last thing, i spent at least 100 hours on this, the least i can ask for is this:
If you get bored of a section, don’t skip the entire thing, just go to the next section.
(The first half is quite slow, the second is faster)

Enjoy :smiley:

Prologue: The Betrayal
0:00 - 1:12

Melancholic Twilight
1:12 - 8:40

Cyborg Enclave
8:40 - 11:36

A New Life
11:36 - 16:48

Preparation
16:48 - 20:21

Rise From The Underground
20:21 - 21:57

Warzone
21:57 - 26:40

Don’t Die
26:40 - 29:35

Vengeance
29:35 - 33:44

Epilogue
33:44 - 39:00

13 Likes

3260422-alg-meh-jpg.jpg

Music ? 39 Minutes ? What the fuck :o

2 Likes

[details=Click to expand]Prologue:
I like it.

Melancholic twilight:
A bit slow, I like when the drums come in.

Cyberg enclave:
I like the sounds of the Aahs. I felt the violins were a bit awkward.

A new life:
I like the beginning. The crystals were fitting. I liked the synthesizer #2’s too but not a fan of the chord progression. I liked the Synth melody from 14:24 to 14:48. I loved the drums, of course. I liked the Ooh and Dry tom combo at 16:19.

Preparation:
Starts quite suddenly. I really loved the beginning with the Vibraphones + High toms. The violins started off nicely but the Dd at 17:59 sounds jarring. I like the overlapping violins in the next sheet though. I felt the
rhodes would end better on E at 18:54. In the next sheet the rhodes were building up nicely, but I thought the high note Eb was bit odd. I like the chord in 19:11.

Rise from the underground:
Pianos are too quiet, the melody didn’t really stand out. Overall section was a bit repetitive.

Warzone:

I like the transition into this part. The piano chords at 22:04 were a bit weird. I felt it was a bit repetitive too.

Don’t die:
I like the beginning Drum loops. I like the Vox chords (even though there were some weird ones), they had a dreamy feel. I liked the occasional drums.

Vengeance:
I liked the ocarinas in the beginning, I never thought of putting them so low. I like the drums of course. I felt it needed a main melody, although I liked the fender strats. I liked the going-downness of 32:40. I think repeating the sheet but slower is a nice way of transitioning.

Epilogue:
I like the piano. I like the part after 35:38, and the transition into it. I thought the chords at 38:08 were lacklustre, but I liked the ending after that very much.

Overall here’s some points:
-It did feel like a story
-Very long – full of good ideas
-Amazing drums of course
-Lots of creative uses of instruments!
-Nice transitions
-Sections were a bit repetitive
-I thought chords progressions and melodies could be improved[/details]

2 Likes

You could make a movie out of this.

1 Like

I actually saw that coming.

Haha, i have a very strange way of doing things, this is definitely one of them.

Now before i respond to any of these i’d like to mention a couple of things:
-I Wanted to make the feel of some songs the same as in the story which from a composition perspective, isn’t ideal.
-Repetition was always the main problem with this whole thing, but i felt it was ok as in my mind anyway, it was accompanied by a story.

Prologue:
Glad you liked it :smiley:

Melancholic Twilight:
The aim of this was to be slow, but i personally felt it did drag on a bit long, funnily enough it was actually shortened down by around a minute. Those drums were actually what started the entire project. Originally i was just making this, but i decided to randomly add them…and well, this happened xD

Cyborg Enclave:
I didn’t notice them to be that awkward, but i guess i’m just extremely used to it. I felt like the song needed more depth, hence why i added them.

A New Life:
To think this song used to be the complete worst in every aspect, doing a complete redo of the drums took a while but it definitely paid off.
As for the chord progression, now that i focus on it, you’re right, it really isn’t that good, but in some way i guess i wanted it to reflect the story. You could say it’s a very awkward part.

Preparation:
At this stage i was personally using the excuse of mechanical sounding rhythm, but i figured it was too late to go back and fix it, this song was also a part of the huge drumming overhaul. I also didn’t notice the jarring Db, personally i still can’t, guess i’m pretty resistant to dissonance xD The reason i didn’t end it on E was because i was strictly following the key, i try not to stray from it. Looking back, the Eb is a bit weird as well, but i like it that way and to me it sounded weird elsewhere :3

Rise From The Underground:
Honestly i completely overlooked the volume of the pianos, although they were the same ratio for Warzone as well. I guess that mainly contributed to the non-standing-out melody.

Warzone:
Not entirely sure how they sound weird, sorry :I The repetition again obviously stands out.

Don’t Die:
I was going for a dreamy but sad feel for that section, i guess i succeeded :smiley: I added the drums to make more of an impact with the sadness really. (To be fair, with the title given i’m not leaving much for the imagination xD)

Vengeance:
I wanted to do more with the ocarinas, but i couldn’t really find any ways to do so. I still went for an angry/unstructured song as i felt it best represented it. As for the transition, i feel as though the sudden tempo change makes more of an impact. But i’ll definitely keep that in mind for the future :slight_smile:

Epilogue:
I don’t feel as though the appropriate mood came across in this part, but i may also be wrong. That last chord was done like that for a reason though, i wanted it to be weak due to the sad ending.

-I’m glad it did, and even if it wasn’t the most amazing piece, i feel as though i’ve succeeded if it does.
-I feel as though they weren’t implemented ideally, but towards the end this became tiring and more like a chore. That being said, it still turned out quite well.
-Personally i felt i disregarded the drumming more than everything else, but i went back over it and fixed things up.
-:3
-I was very focused on the transitions this time, i’m glad it all worked out :smiley:
-Yep
-The problem is…i don’t know how i could go about that…

Thank you a bunch for the feedback, as always i will keep this in mind for the future :smiley:

I couldn’t be happier to see this comment, to me it proves i succeeded :3.
I like using music to tell a story rather than just being catchy (I do both though), and i’m glad it’s worked.

That being said, there was generally a reason to why i did certain things throughout the piece, often sacrificing it sounding perfect for elements of the story.

3 Likes

Well, Malher 5th lasts more than an hour and is really epic music

Anyway, REALLY GOOD! AMAZING! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m only 3 minutes and I can tell we need to feature this album.

Also, I’m gonna split this thing up and put it on my iTunes, too.

1 Like

i dont think I would be able to make it through the entire thing o.0

1 Like

I understand, it would be perfect with an animation or something.

That’s fair, but E is only the raised seventh!

Yep I was actually complimenting this!

I’m not too good at interpreting music :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

To be honest, it’s pretty good, but it just didn’t seem very interesting and engaging for the most part. The beginning slower parts should have had better melodies just to keep it more compelling like I want to keep listening. It seemed like you could have cut out some parts in the beginning as well, it just seemed a bit repetitive. Sorry to say, but I kinda had to force myself to listen to the whole thing. Although, I absolutely LOVE the industrial style drums. 29:00 to the near end were a lot better than most of the song because the faster parts were more interesting and the slower parts had much better melodies than the rest of the song, and the ending was kinda… anticlimactic… It just built up so well and came to an unsatisfying ending.
I’m really sorry for sounding a bit harsh, it’s just what I honestly felt of it. I think that this could have easily been shrunk down to a 15-20 minute song. I’m just not a big fan of slower and less melodic music.
But, hell, i’m not good at any of this stuff, so i’m being quite a hypocrite. Good luck on getting a feature, I’m sure it will get it.

1 Like

Thank-you :smiley:

Oh you, thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

If you need to you could take breaks in the middle, i’d honestly classify the first and last 5 sections as separate parts :slight_smile:

That’s pretty much what i had in mind :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know this stuff xD
Ah i see now, thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

Interpretation of music is subjective, you’re not that bad really.

I did consider this, but it fits well with the mechanical/sad/trudging feel of the story which was primarily what i was trying to do. As for better melodies, i’m not entirely sure how i’d go about that. It was made as a background sort of thing as opposed to just a straight song…i was actually expecting some of these problems. Thanks. Again with the ending i was going with music as a way of representing something as opposed to something that solely focuses on it sounding perfect.

I did feel as though the song could’ve been shortened, but i chose not to, i’m not entirely sure why though. Thank-you for the feedback though as i will use it to help me in the future :slight_smile:

That being said i feel like i should clarify the ending, the anti-climax has bugged a few people.
In the story, there are pretty much two factions, the humans and the rebels (cyborgs). The character gets enraged when the person dies (don’t die) and he gets vengeance, tearing through the war and killing the opposing leader, who at the start mistook him for his twin brother and exiled him as the brother was in a higher position so he was believed over the character (Prologue). Now only after killing the opposing leader, the character realises what the vengeance has caused, he killed his own family in the process alongside everyone else he used to know, as well as leading his new friends/family into battle and getting them killed. (Rise from the underground/Warzone) The final part reminisces of previous parts of his life, but with the lingering idea that it’s all dead and gone, his vengeance built up to a large climax before ending with little to no satisfaction, in fact it ended in quite the opposite manner.
This is a concept album; this means i was making the sound of the song feel like the story, hence why some choices seem extremely off or weird when listening.

1 Like

39 minutes. I AM IMPRESSED! 5/5

1 Like

The problem is that the large climax isn’t very good. You should have ended it with a Bb minor chord, not F minor. Here’s an example where I added some dramatic chords (ignore the first one).

Thanks TV :slight_smile:

I can’t see the file by the way Nuse

1 Like

I’m sorry… this might work:

1 Like

Ah i see now, i’d say that’s primarily my lack of being able to do chords well, however i will definitely keep that in mind. (didn’t like the first chord of sheet 0 though)