Criticism Requests

@Aliens: was funny

@Timothy: The’s comment hit it spot on “It seems like there’s not much structure, and it sounds like some random bass and accordion notes especially toward the end.”

And this: 2/28/2015 Story by Timothy Verbist - Songs - Notessimo

Yes, we may need some more critics TFB. Personally I like to spend a lot of time with mine and I haven’t been able to devote that time recently. I’ll try to get one in here though.
(Side note: Should we restrict this thread to completed works? I see a lot of requests by timothy and they all seem to be short loops.)

For OneTwoThreeADVENTURE:

Intro (Sheet 0): 4/5
I thought this sheet showed some nice melodic creativity, though I found the higher notes on the rhodes a bit jarring, mostly because of how they emphasize a separation between themselves and the low notes. I admit this was probably intentional, but it still subtracts somewhat from the beauty of the instruments, the melody, and distracts from the wonderful glockenspiel work. Other then that, a fine sheet to start us off in my opinion.
Rating: 4/5

Bridge (Sheets 1-3): 4.5/5
The transition felt a bit off but I very much enjoy how much more harmonious all the instruments were in this sheet (see: my problem with the intro). The rhode melody was light and fun, I’ll always be a sucker for those “slides” we did back in N2, they add such a nice emphasis on things. The background was absolutely perfect, supportive, but not intrusive. Loved the transition out as well, because it was clever. You introduce a new concept the violin as a lead) and take it right back without any ill effect.
Rating: 4.5/5

Verse (kinda) (Sheets 4-6): 4/5
Well, the immediate problem I have with sheet 4 is that it’s all background and no lead to guide me through, although I do admit the composition is pleasurable to listen to. Gotta love the percussion though, especially the timpani and taiko drum work. I felt the hi-hats were a little out of place (might have been better as a snare) for an orchestral piece, but I’ll let that slide on account of this being super contemporary already anyway. Overally, nothing really jumped out at me in this section as being spectacular, and nothing too bad either. Great sound though.

Sheets 1-2 Redux (Sheets 7, 8, and 3):
Don’t want to spend too much time here, as it’s a variation on the earlier sheets. I don’t give scores to these sheets as I feel it skews the total score at the end.

Verse 2 (Sheets 9, 10, and 6): 4.25/5
I will give a score to these sheets as a real new idea is presented which changes the nature of the section. That would be the trumpets, the missing lead in sheet 4. I felt these sheets were a bit emptier for some reason, however the brass section in Sheet 10 was absolutely fantastic, especially the pitch bend on bar 9. Really adds a sense of power and wonder, which is exciting. I know I didn’t mention this before but I love the hip-hopish feel to the timpani in sheet 6, hammers in the contemporary feel while also still staying orchestral.
Rating: 4.25/5

Intro Redux (Sheets 11-14): 3/5
So I actually didn’t like this section that much. The ocarina kinda ruined it, and while it was a good melody, the instrument choice is what kills it for me. The ocarina is extremely powerful and needs to be used more conservatively. The slides don’t work as well with this instrument, they are more jarring than anything else, and pretty much all the chords are so loud as to be cringe-worthy. Sheet 11 stands out though, as the strings are super nice behind those rhodes.
Rating: 3/5

Bridge (Sheets 15-16): 4/5
The transition into this sheets is the biggest problem I have with it. We just had a good bit of energy going in the last section and this section is super empty and slow, needs a bit more of a release of energy at the beginning of the sheet. However, I do admit that’s a minor complaint in a sheet that adds a very nice bit of contrast to the rest of the song, and I did enjoy the music box melody that was introduced. WORK ON THOSE TRANSITIONS PEOPLE :smiley:

Verse (Sheets 23-25): 4.25/5
Now this section was very nice, showcasing the ocarina much better and having great composition overall. The general build-up of energy is also good, it really gives a sense of anticipation to the listener and gets you hyped for a return of a section with more energy.
Rating: 4.25/5

Outro (Sheets 18-19): 4.5/5
While I was somewhat disappointed with the decision to end the song here (as a return to an earlier section may have capitalized on the build-up a little better), I have to say that this section ties from the last even better, and the release of all that energy makes for a great ending. And those final chords <3. Just really made the section feel awesome to me.
Rating: 4.5/5

Ending (Sheets 26-27): 4/5
The ending felt a bit off slightly, might have just been the lack of a long, held out chord or something. Overall though, the previous sheets are what make the ending so special imo.

Overall Conclusion/Thoughts:
Well, I think that overall, the song has a great sound and some wonderful compositions here and there, but as a whole it seemed to lack any real purpose or direction. It felt weird while writing this review to label the sections as verse or chorus, as it didn’t really have that sort of structure. And that’s fine for some songs, but seeing as this is a more contemporary piece, a powerful middle section might have been a stronger base to start from. Still, it stands out as a masterful piece of sound, with some good transitions (at least when a sheet was dedicated to a transition by itself, i.e sheets 3 and 6), and it makes for a very nice listen.

OVERALL RATING (An average of all the ratings put together): 4.1/5

1 Like

…Sorry for asking for another song(s) so soon, but I’d really like an opinion on Fairy Tale and/or SoaH.

https://soundcloud.com/theapocoloptogon/another-time

critic this or ill send u my memes (everybody will get git)

1 Like

Listen in old player please! :3 ( Horrible on new )

I’ll critique it at some point, this is just for future reference.

https://soundcloud.com/spacepixel/theme-3-final-mix

Yep.

Mhmm.

Pretty good song, echoes are amazing, and coherence of instruments is great, i love it! At 1:50, the transition could be slower, but still an amazing music ! ^^

Nope timothy, wait your turn.

2 Likes

Quote quote star underline bold flashing lights

But, yeah, Verbist. Honestly, it’s a little boring. My attention span lasted :22 into the song.
As a good general rule of thumb, if the people listening to your songs aren’t interested, there’s a problem.

1 Like

Okay so, I feel an update is necessary at this point.

1. We need more critics (obviously it shouldn’t come down to two users to critique everything, please either request it here or pm Krawkyz about that).

2. We need to have a list of songs that have been requested but not critiqued yet. I almost feel that it would be more prudent to simply have this thread here to ask for reviews and then have the critic’s actually post on the song’s page, as once this thread reaches 5 or so pages, posts will be lost.

3. This is just a suggestion, but how about the idea that you can ask a specific critic for your song? I mean I know Krawkyz already has a thread specifically for him (and tbh I was kinda toying with the idea of making one for myself if it was something people would like), but certainly if we had more critics we wouldn’t just be making specific threads for each one (hmm…sounds like a good idea for a new group or subforum topic though :3).

1 Like

edit: i see you made a list so there i guess i edited it some more
edit 2: can please remove the embeds with hyperlink it make me sad

I can get a list up if you’d like at the bottom of the thread post.
Also

Yeah I found that as soon as I went to make the list. Sorry.

Oh and I just quoted my review into the comment section in OneTwoThreeADVENTURE, just so you know.

Alrighty, so double post, and also shameless self-promotion, but I’d love to hear some critique on my new remix of Melancholy Soldier (also this thread died ;_ ; )

Link