let's write an RPG soundtrack!

you post too many goood songs.

why arent i any good?

I cut off my left ear. Instant success. I’m not going to suggest that you should do the same; I’m just saying it worked for me.
Also, I actually preempted this thread a few months ago with an RPG-ish opening that has slipped my mind until now.
I’m going to update the first post as well… which reminds me, insomnia is almost as useful as removing one’s ear.

Hmm… I’ve been a little bit apprehensive about posting in this thread… mostly because I’ve seen a lot of these songs, and they all seem to be more retro-styled in the way of RPG music. I was a little worried my type of music wouldn’t fit in… I tend to be more into rock/metal, and that probably influenced my composition. But I figured, hey, what’s the worst that could happen if no one likes it, eh?

So I made a little something, I’m not sure where it might fit. Maybe the castle theme… or one of the boss battles.

http://www.notessimo.net/listen.php?id=22837 ← Original version
http://www.notessimo.net/listen.php?id=22839 ← With moar guitar, if you’re in to that sort of thing.

It’s not too long (is it too short?) because I’m not too good at composing… would you believe I’ve been involved in music for about 6 years and this is my first ever composition? All I’ve ever done before this is arrange and recite. : P

I listened to both of them and they sounded good (rated them too) I too make metal/rock songs, and I found it a tad difficult to compose something for this kind of thing, however, I did pull two things together.
Also, I can’t believe you’ve been involved with music for 6 years, and made your first composition.

My song, Under the Bridge, can be used for some part. I don’t know what though.

http://notessimo.net/?id=22882

Bad Guy Theme?

I’m not sure. I saw that the Bad Guy Theme was vacant, so I threw a little thing together.

fishrocker: sounds like a “bad guy theme” if I’ve ever heard one.
**** The first one, not that one you sneaked in while I was posting this lengthy message to DC. I’d call that one a “scary event”
DC: The reason, or at least my reason, for the retro sound is that the 16-bit era is the golden age of video game music. Now, you have the option of playing your iPod over the music, and I believe making a good soundtrack has lost priority. I rarely listen to the bland, generic rock tracks slapped together on recent games. That being said, your song isn’t a bad fit for a boss battle. I’d like to see a character theme from you, titled “The Muse.” I think you know what I’m talking about. Make it happen!

Does this thread have any room for an Evil Witch theme? I feel like making one.

(And seeing the “comedy sound” tag on the henchmen theme makes me think of the Robotnik theme from AOSTH)

Hahaha xD. Of course I know what you’re talking about. I shall try, Hypo.

Also: I wasn’t questioning why they were all retro styled, I agree, bland rock tracks have taken over video games in the past few years. I guess it’s all a matter of psychology - games nowadays are primarily (let’s face the facts here) bought by children and teenagers. If they want to sell their games and appeal to the audience, they use styles of composition that the average <14 year old can relate to (yes, I am criticising people of my own age). Can’t choose techno/trance/whatever-the-hell-these-kids-listen-to-nowadays - doesn’t work well in RPGs. So they use the next best thing that teenagers prefer. Rock/Metal/etc.

It’s a shame though, I wish they’d bring back retro styles again to appeal to all the veteran gamers out there who came all the way back from the NES and SNES era (I can’t say much for myself, I’ve never had any of those old consoles… not for lack of want. Lack of the important one… money : P But I do like the music I’ve ever heard from youtube, etc). Music isn’t that big of a deal in a game, I guess, but it would be nice for a change.

I however am most interested in those catchy toons in a video game. The old style music that used to be in video games were great. I wish they would bring it back.

i haven’t really played a game with rock/metal in it (except for GH/Rockband). I only really played Pokemon growing up (i’m 14), and those tunes were some of the greatest I’ve heard.

Ocean theme, oooh!

I’m going to lengthen it later.

sounds good so far. However, it sounds more like a battle theme than an ocean theme.

@Skycakes

WEEEEE!!!I’m running around in circles like a f*g

?id=22943 i’ll call it done.

My signature is awesome enough to make people go off topic. That’s just how fabulous I am.

EDIT: listen.php?id=22966 This version feels nicer

unlike other people, I PM’d Sky about her sig

In case you haven’t checked the first page in a while, it seems we’re slowly meandering in a different direction than was first intended. I’ve seized the liberty of categorizing most of the songs in this thread according to elpenguino’s criteria (adding/modifying a few as necessary) and found that instead of writing a soundtrack, we’d be more accurately described as creating an Original RPG Music Warehouse (©). Contact a mod concerning disputes about your song’s categorization (I stand by my current choices) or preferably indicate intended category when posting a song. Perhaps Notessimo 2 will mutate into a music library à la Newgrounds Audio Portal. If not, I’m sure it will at least snare some more musicians/flash game makers.

Also, be on the lookout for any quality songs to be included (remember: original).

Hey Hypo, if it’s not too much trouble, could you replace the listed version of my Ocean theme with this one?

the name says it all

Umm… Hope event (again) My song “Sparks of Inspiration” doesn’t seem to fit the “hope” category. Made this in like 10 minutes I’ll add more to it later. You might want to turn the volume up a bit cuz its kinda quiet.

:EDIT: Well, I didn’t add much, but hope event is finished