Music Theory

A forum thread for music theory.
Thought it would help those unfamiliar with any music theory.
I guess I’ll start with how to make two of my favorite chords
Cm7
C Eb G Bb
Dm11
D E A C E G
If I ever get enough energy to do so, I will post all of my commonly used chords.
BTW…There are many other chords beside these two, but I thought it would be a good start.

Yes they’re nice chords. I personally like the A minor one = A-C-E, see it spells out a word that’s even better.

F major 7th
F-A-C-E

Dsus2
D-E-A-D

D5
D-A-D

Some variation of Esus(4)6 (with 3rd) =

CABBAGE

Nice, when I made that I got over a 4 octae chord.
At least it spell something though.

There’s a lot more to music theory than just chords.

Yes but all the rest are intervals and compound grouping and ranges of string instruments and all the other stuff nobody cares about.

wat

Also, what about keys, cadences and transposition?

Yes well I had to learn them.

Well keys aren’t that important if you know chords, cadences aren’t that necessary either, and transposition isn’t useful at all for Notessimo.

Huh? Isn’t it the other way around?

Well … I suppose you’re right. I usually just think keys as a “main” chord or something.

By the way I know there is alot more than just chords, but they are a good starting point.

E=mc2

E/M=C2
E/2=C
E-2)C

And it is for spanish language :S

Re-Do=1
Tres-Dos=1
3-2=1

:]

And some math

(a+b+c)2= a2 + ab + ac + ba + b2 + bc + ca +cb + c2

Actually that’s not true at all. Aside form intervals, there’s also scales such as blues scales, pentatonic scales, bebop scales, Hungarian minor scales, etc which all have purposes for making specific music. There’s also techniques to create effects such as passing tones and spreading out minor 7ths throughout octaves to a point where they minimize tension between each other. Not only that, but what the main point of music theory in college isn’t to learn these techniques, to it’s to developed very good perfect pitch or relative pitch so that you can easily put what’s in your head on staff paper or on an instrument. There’s also instrument transposition which you also needs to know. Instrument transposition is taking notes that are played on one instrument or a type of staff (or both) and making it so that the same sounds on a C instrument in treble clef play the same notes as an Eb instrument in alto clef. It’s very important for arranging orchestras.

If anyone wants to know actual music theory things they can ask me. I’m currently working on a website which contains every single type of scale for every scale. That means, EVERY scale. That means C major, C# major, Cb Major, D Dominant Bebop, D sharp Dominant Bebop, Db dominant bebop, etc…

whats the website? I personally find that this is necessary to achieve certain tones to music, but really this is mostly a practice aid, as you can achieve perfect pitch without knowing any music theory, its harder but its possible

Wow I only know major and minor scales. Your site would help a lot in improving my songs. I hope it turns out ok! Do you have any expert tips such as good scales or chords or anything for me?

I have a music question, how is the Aeolian mode different from the minor scale?

they are the same. It’s just the Latin name for it.

ok, i don’t why some people talk about them as if they were different(“it sounds Spanish”, “its very weak tonally”) I guess they could just be making it up, but hey its the interwebz! it also sounds different at times, so that seems less likely.

most songs that use minor use harmonic minor, the mode is just natural minor.