Recovering a Corrupted Song

So, I’m making this topic in hopes that someday Starburst might return and read this. I don’t know a lot about the guy, and he may never actually return here, but it’s worth a shot regardless.

Right now, one of my songs has become corrupted due to a saving error. More specifically, I let my computer sleep while the editor was still open, and then attempted to save the song after turning my computer back on, which corrupted the file. The player cannot open the song, and I do not have a backup of either the song file or my hard drive from before this occurred. I am able to unpack the song file’s contents using an unarchiving utility, which is usually reserved for .zip files. Doing so, I have found that the files for the song’s sheets are still intact as .xml files.

So, what I would like to see implemented is a way to add the .xml files for sheets directly into the editor. This would allow for people who experience this problem a way to salvage their work, and recreate the song with little to no loss.

To see the corrupted song file, I have posted it here: https://www.notessimo.net/page/browse/songs.html/_/miscellaneous/dark/immortal-test-post-r77548

Saw the error, makes me throw my pc through the window!

Was this made in v3? Usually with v3 songs, it’s possible to open the file as a zip file. For whatever reason this file isn’t letting me open it as a zip archive, saying that the file is invalid.
I’m wondering if a zip archive repair program like winzip would fix it…

I noticed this as well. NOTE files are, in laymen’s terms, just zip files with some extra coding. That being said, they cannot be repaired the same way as zip files, since no zip repair program would be able to repair the data that’s unique to NOTE files.

For comparison’s sake, I took a screenshot of what I’ve found. This shows the header portion of a NOTE file and a zip file respectively. As you can see, NOTE files are unencrypted, and contain information that tells the Notessimo player how to read the .xml files stored inside.

Being able to edit this part of a NOTE file would actually allow me to fix the problem I have, since I could just make a new NOTE file that tells the player to read the sheets from the old NOTE file; simply making a NOTE file with the sheets in it doesn’t work, since the player does not look for the sheets unless this part of the file tells it to. However, I cannot edit this part of the file, and so, I have my problem.