Star Wars

You had to have seen this coming, but Star Wars has some of the best RPGs and T/FPSs out there. Add to them the great John WIlliams Soundtrack, and you’ve got a set of games any gamer could fall in love with.

Here’s the games I’ve played before that pertain to Star Wars (in order from best to worst): Battlefront 2, Battlefront, KOTOR (Knights of the old republic), Starfighter, The Force Unleashed, Flight of the Falcon (GBA), Episode III, Podracers Revenge, and Lego Star Wars: The complete saga. I’ve played many more, but these ones had the most lasting effect. How about a Character review of my favorite one.

Battlefront 2

This game combines all of my favorite aspects of a game. It is a thrid-person/first person shooter that allows you to play in various enviroments in the Star Wars movies. There are two factions: Galactic Civil War, and Clone Wars, with four sub-factions Empire, Rebels, CIS, and Republic. Each faction gives you four main characters (Infantry-man, Sniper, Demolitions, and Pilot/Medic/Shotgunner), as well as two special characters that you can only be when playing as that faction (Empire: Dark Trooper and Imperial Officer, Rebels: Wookie Warrior and Bothan Spy, CIS: Droideka and Magna-guard, Repulic: Clone Commander and Jet Trooper). Here are some differences:

Infantry-Man
The best all-around rifle-man is the rebels main soldier. He is equipped with a standard rifle with 55 shots per clip, with which he is able to fire 5-7 shots before the “spray” effect turns on. The empire’s regular soldier is only able to fire 3-4 shots before it starts spraying, and the same for the CIS. The republic soldier is the closest competitor for this postition, and they’re about the same. But the Rebel and the clone could never have an even battle with they’re rifles, so it remains a mystery which one would win. They are very close.

The rest of the main classes are all the same, with nothing to distiguish them from the other factions other than the skin. Moving on:

Special Forces: There are good and bad points to each factions, special forces, but arguably the best one is the Rebels again. The only real reason is that while most sub-factions have one guy that makes no sense, the rebels have both of their special troopers kicking the empire’s tail into oblivion. Sound biased? Well get this, My favorite trooper is the Dark Trooper from the empire. But I still get so annoyed when out of nowhere, some bothan decides to sneak up on me and one shot me with his incinerator, and the wookie just coming up to you with infinite health and just shotgunning you out. Here are some stats on all the special characters:

Empire

Imperial Officer-Has two guns, a geonosian blaster, and a grenade launcher (all grenade launchers are chargable, the reason is to increase distance). Since the power of explosives in general have been cut down greatly, you have to be very precise with the grenade laucher, thus taking out this character’s overall power immensely

Dark Trooper-As stated before, my favorite trooper. The two guns you get are an electric blaster, which is charge-able. When fully-charged, you can take out four regular troopers with one shot. The only down-side is the reload one this guns is twice as long as a regular gun. The side-arm is a pistol, but the one this character gets is the dreaded commando pistol, which allows you to fire as fast as you can until it over-heats.

Rebels

Bothan Spy-This character has only one weapon, an incenorator, which is good in a close-quarters one-on-one battle or a tight group of people. The problem is that you use a full clip to incinerate once, and then you reload. But this flaw is over-shadowed by one of the greatest abilities a non-hacker could love, invisibility. Now, as you’d expect, it doesn’t make you invulnerable, so the other person might get a random shot a kill you. Plus, this power seem to have no effect whatsoever on bots, so good luck getting a lot of kills. Overall though, this character is very good

Wookie Warrior-The toughest character in the game, He carries a bowcaster and grenade launcher. The better weapon is the bowcaster, as it is charge-able and has two scopes like a sniper. When fired un-charged, it sprays 7 rounds in a neat line that will hit someone much like a shotgun. But charge it up and snipe, because then it fires one shot that contains all the power of those 7 shots, without wasting all that ammo.

CIS
Magna-Guard-has a Grenade launcher and a missile launcher. The missile launcher has 6 OHKO shots in it that can lock on the people. The lock on is very weak, so it is a good long range weapon. In fact, there’s nothing good about this character in the short range. Good luck there.

Droideka-If there were a super soldier, this is the character he’d see in his nightmares. This rolling droid has only 3 major buttons to worry about, and only one is it’s actually weapon. It has a rolling no rolling state, and your “get in/out of vehicle” button is replaced by this. You can’t pilot anything in this droid, but other than tanks, you really don’t have much competition.

Republic

Clone Commander-has two weapons: a pistol and a shoulder-mounted Vulcan cannon. This cannon is very good at close ranges, due to the fact that the spray on this gun is very low, but is multiplied over long distance. Overall, a good character for new players

Jet Trooper-has two weapons-shares the commando pistol with the dark trooper and carries an EMP launcher. For those of you who don’t know, EMP is a electrical charge that greatly effects robots and other electronics. This grenade launcher is the best of all four, as it shoots in a straight line forever, and you get two in one clip. Also, it reloads as fast as a regular rifle. There are other good things too, the dark and jet troopers both have a jet-pack, but the jet troopers is much better. It allows you to fly in a straight line, and over a longer distance. The only problem with this trooper is he has very weak armor, and doesn’t really have a close range weapon.

Darth Maul was the best Jedi character in that game. I love this game, I still have it…but no Live.

I forgot about the heros…Oh well. My favorite character on Mos Eisley during an Assault match is Count Dooku. For the heros side, Han solo. While Darth Maul and Master Secura are argueably the best swordsmen (or women) in all of the heros, it really boils down to the force power that comes with the charcacter. Since Maul can only push, he is ruled out for my favorite character. I choose Dooku beacuse he’s the only character able to choke (those being Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, and Count Dooku) who can kill an enemy hands down with his three-hit combo. Vader and Skywalker’s attack are pretty much the same, and don’t have that much power. Palpatine is even worse. But, in reality, the bias on this level is towards the heros, mostly due to the fact that two villians (Dooku and Palpatine) have a terible AI, all they do is shock people, and the fact that they seem to stick together. My favorite hero is Han Solo, because with all of my awards, he can two-shot anyone but General Grevious, who probably nas the best AI in all the bots.

My 9 year old cousin got a $140 model lightsaber a few years ago (when he was 7) His room is COVERED in starwars stuff.

Lol. In actuallity all I have in my room that is starwars oriented is my video games (about 4 of them) and my comforter (that I’ve had since I was like 5).

For the next review, I’ve set a key:
=good
=bad
Hope you can remember that.

Back on topic (this is the video game section!): I just got StarWars Battlefront: Elite Squadron for the DS, and it’s pretty fun. Granted, I did expect more out of N-space (with the CoD games they’ve made for DS), but on the whole it was a decent game for star wars fans. Like its namesake, there is an instant action mode and campaign . I’ll start with the campaign, as it is clearly the more focused on . You play as a clone trooper (named X2 ) who goes around the battlefield with 4 times as much health as anyone else . The storyline takes you through the whole series of the movies in the first 4 worlds , and then continues on after the second death star is destroyed . The graphics are fairly decent for a hand-held, especially in a space battle . The problems are immense. There are 4 classes, each with two guns :Assault (Assault Rifle, Shotgun) , Heavy (Railgun, Missile Launcher) , Engineer (Arc Caster (fires one shot of blue energy), 'Nade Launcher) , and Spy (Dual Pistols, a gun that fires red energy that heat-seeks) . As shown by my smilies, there is absolutely no point to the regular class in either campaign or instant action. For Campaign, just use the vulcan cannon (Railgun) to blast through enemies quickly. The levels and enemies all feel the same and the boss battles are all jedi/sith or magna-guards , so they always boil down to just pulling your secondary weapon (which is explosive for every class) and knocking them down . Since there’s no difficulty level, any gamer with an IQ over 50 can beat this game. The instant action is of better merit , even with out human players .There are three modes, but I’ll only talk about two of them: Team battle and Free-For-All. In addition, there are three sub-modes: Regular battle , cruiser battle , and space battle , and you have to do all of them in any order you pick. There are four planets , Tatooine , Kashyyyk , Dantooine , and Hoth . For a regular battle, you choose your class and try to capture command posts. Caping all of them results in instant victory regardless of points . Crusier battle is the worst, ther are two flags in the middle (R2 units ) and capping them both wins instantly. The problem is that the AI is to shoot human players on sight, instead of go after the flags or the person capping them. That means that two of them will attack you and the smart one will capture both droids, resulting in a loss for you. On team battle, your teammate seems unable to make anything happen at all, leaving you to rush the middle and die trying. And the space battles are fun to look at, but lack anything else. You fly around with automatic guns and a few missiles that never reach the target unless at point blank, and you can only turn left and right, giving you a sense of 2-D play. That is all.

What about Star Wars: The Force Unleashed? In my opinion, that is currently the best Star Wars game ever!

There are two reasons I haven’t reviewed the force unleashed. One: I don’t own it, therefore I haven’t played through the whole game (although I do have the DS version). Two: IMO it is nowhere near as good as many other titles from star wars, I’ve played my cousins copy of it, and the multiplayer isn’t as good or precise as the one for Episode 3’s. Also, have you ever played Battlefront? I do hope they come out with a third…that is by far the best one.

Starwars had six great movies, then they followed it up with great games. My favorite starwars games are both battlefronts, Starwars episode 3 the game, and Starfighter. Of those four battlefront 1 is probably my favorite. Battlefront 2 is a good game, but they ruined it with the medals you can earn, battlefront 1 is acctualy fair. Starwars episode 3 the game has a okay single player, but that game is all about the multiplayer. I think there are 12 different jedi to choose from and you fight eachother. So if you want to get it understand it is only a multiplayer based game. And finnaly starfighter. This game is only one player, but makes up for that fact that the single player is great. Challenging levels and hard bosses make for a great game.

Thank you

Ah Battlefront 1 vs Battlefront 2…personally I think they are both great enough that I can put one down and pick up the other, but IMO B2 is the better. Yes, there is the gay medal system that can really mess up the fun experience of two player battles, but I usually take ut the memory card for that. Let’s see the pros and cons of each game over the other.

Battlefront 1

Pros
Prone
Air support
Maps

Cons
I hate turrets and how they don’t miss in this game. Over-powered.
Droideka are mobile turrets.
What you do is less important in this game, I’ve gotten 80 kills for 2-3 deaths and still lost, even capturing bases.

Battlefront 2

Pros
You can switch out characters at command posts without respawning.
Computer AI is better.
Tanks are less over-powered, and it is fun to get a buddy and be two missile troopers and just destroy tanks.
Maps are more like in the movies
Graphics (Hold on, scratch that because graphics are for fan-boys)
Character selection is slightly better than the first game.
Sprinting

Cons
Jedi are seriously under-powered, they really should be all but invincible.
Why did they take out prone?
As stated before, medals are annoying, and the upgraded guns you get are for noobs.
Air-support is taken out, replaced by space battles.
I think the two-player experience is better on the first game. Mainly because in the old game you could get your teammate into a tank with you, and he wouldn’t mind being the main turret because it actually killed things. In this game there really is no point in being the main turret guy.

So there you go. The games are similar enough that you really should buy both.

Yes I agree with you. But, if you look at overall gaming fun I do think battlefront 2 is better. And the Gay medal system does make the game a little less fun. But battlefront 1 in my opinion has better maps that BF2.

I like the BF2 map that has the cantina (can’t remember how to spell the planet)… Just for the music…

Well that’s what I think as well, hence:

Mos Eisley is my favorite map as well

As a matter of fact, I own both Battlefront 2, Episode 3 and Force Unleashed. Along with the PC version of Dark Forces: Jedi Knight. And I still think TFU is better!

Well I’m just saying that I have never even watched the single player (let alone played it), and the multiplayer was pretty crappy when compared with Batttlefront 1/2’s, or if you are looking for a better two-player deathmatch, I’ve yet to see a game as complicated and fun as Episode 3’s two player duel mode. And that’s doesn’t just encompass Starwars, even games like street fighter and brawl cannot compare with the complexity of this multiplayer.

Starwars, Im gonna kill you!

and seriously, that is the best smilie ever.

Well if you look at my location I am already dead.

Yes me too. I also like doing Assault for the Heroes vs Villains. I was Luke Skywalker and my brother was Darth Vader. We would destroy all the ammo/health giving droids and battle in the stadium on top of the rim.

Oh haha my and my brother would do the same thing except with Darth Maul and Aayla Secura (If that’s how you spell her name…) Actually…I figured out a good tactic with Darth Maul was to use his Force Push to knock him off instead of fighting him. We had a LOT of laughs by simply picking a jedi who could force push and Darth Maul who is the only one who can, and yelling “You are the weakest link. Goodbye!” at each other as we battled epically for that top ring.

Hahaha the best tactic for ANY jedi is to use force push and then kill them while their down. And I think that Darth Maul is the best jedi character in the game. But I would have to say that my favorite hero in the game is Han Solo. His blaster pistol is awesome, and it can kill jedi very fast.

Darth Maul is no Jedi! He’s a SITH!