Stickerbrush Symphony (Chiptune Remix)

Somes songs really embody the feeling of floating on a cloud.

Thanks to SuperNintendoGameboy/Antonim for their cover which I definitely referenced a lot while making this: DKC2 - Stickerbrush Symphony (Legacy Remaster) by David Wise - Songs - Notessimo

I’ve become obsessed with the pulse width effect used often in songs like this tbh. It was in Funky Stars too. Normally you’d have to have automation to get the effect in a normal DAW but making it yourself is a good workaround.

I did mess around with a fade in/out effect on the triangle wave chords but honestly it just sounds better as is.

8 Likes

The reverb adds a lot to the mix. Great evolving textures with the pan and filter movements.
A tip for square leads to have a filter envelope (low pass as the note holds) or delayed vibrato, those are two great ways to add movement and smoothness to square wave leads.

The ending was bad. Since this is a rearrangement, I would like to see some effort writing a proper ending.

Did you make this cover in V3 or a tracker?

Yeah if there’s one thing I wish I could do, it’s add vibrato to some of the longer sustained notes. I didn’t want to add an ending to preserve the loop. Made this in v3, though I generated the pulse-wave samples individually in OpenMPT.