The Great Gate of Kiev

“The Great Gate of Kiev” from Pictures at an Exhibition by Modest Mussorgsky, orchestral arrangement by Maurice Ravel.

Transcribed by Carltonus, with the tuning modification V3 Standard Instrument Tuning Fix by Blargzargo Hlaaluington.
Based on the Paris Editions Russes de Musique score. The arrangement is © 1929.

Art in background is the Great Gate of Kiev by Raffi Jacobian.

This work claims fair use for educational or demonstration purposes. All other rights reserved.

Notes:

• Completely transcribed in 1/29/21 with some volume modifications
  • The timing between the two layers might be off by a bit (due to a bug?) in V4 player from [110] to [114].
  • Minor details and timing probably fixes on 1/31/21.
  • Timing ([119] being off, probably) fixed again on 3/8/21.
  • Fixed some instruments on 5/19/21.
  • Experimental tam-tam brush on 5/27/21.
2 Likes

The tuning modification still doesn’t handle the flats in V4, or is it the major key settings only cosmetic?
V3 looks normal with the flats, while the V4 only keeps the file that was submitted for the first time even if deleted in later revisions.

The preset keys have always been unwieldly from what I remember, I’d recommend just inserting flats and sharps as they appear to be safe.

1 Like

Re-uploaded to latest revision.
The change was that [119] was a bit off by a few milliseconds. Other than that, it’s all good.

Tam-tam part is the hardest to make brushes with. Experimented with combining bass drums with cymbals, does anyone have a good combination?
The score calls for gentle piano, mezzo-forte, forte, and the crashing fortissimo.

Thanks!

I don’t usually tinker with brushes, but I think Orchestral Cymbal offers a good sound for what you’re probably looking for. Just play around with the volume and pitch for each note and you’ll be fine.