Something Different - A Rant

First off, Happy Christmas from me while I am on vacation in England.

Alas, mine is not very good. My grandfather is in the hospital with pneumonia and I have a bad cold. Another issue came to my mind while the news was on when my sister was waiting for Downtown Abbey to come on TV.

Today, the news had a story about some people who died in a car accident. This, surprisingly, makes me lose all faith in humanity. Each day, many, many people die in accidents. Why is it that this group is suddenly more important than the people who died today with no publicity. Why is it that dying on a holiday makes you have a worse death. I feel so sorry for the people who die and people just act like it never happened. People die everyday in accidents and apart from close family everyone is just like “Oh, OK” and shrugs it off. I’m not mad because the news did a story about a car crash. I’m mad that they act like the other deaths weren’t as bad. What about the other ones? I’m sure other people got in crashes and died today. I just ask that next time you see a car crash story you apologise to everyone that died that day and to their family, not just the 2 or 3 that died. Thank you, and stay safe out there.

Cheers,
Daniel

1 Like

The number of people who die from accidents pales in comparison to the number of people who die of sicknesses, diseases, drugs, alcohol, smoking, and even starvation. Those deaths are no different. Death is predictable and you can’t stop it from happening. Also, my condolences to families of all those who lost their lives.

1 Like

Well the media can’t report on every death that happens. Accidents are a lot rarer (and more interesting to the public) , and very shocking and tragic, as they are so sudden.

There’s one thing that’s true here: Most people don’t care. It’s as simple as that. There’s a reason why no one ever tells us the body count of the other team in wars, and if they do, they never show us their families. It’s because we cannot bring ourselves to kill others when we realize that they are exactly the same as us. Everyone has a family. Every single person that dies today is leaving behind at the very least one person close to them. Every death is the same. There’s a funeral, you bury/freeze/cremate/lobotomise/otherwise do stuff for science to the body, you get a grave, and life goes on. You’re all but forgotten, unless you’re like Elvis or something.

And another thing: Why haven’t we banned alcohol yet? I know, it sounds insane, but think about it: Half of the people in a wreck will be doing the right thing nearly 100% of the time. And it’s usually the drunk people that miraculously survive these wrecks. We could greatly reduce the amounts of wrecks if we simply did not allow anyone who had had alcohol in any form to get on the road.