Ask TFB To Criticize

Only two requests from me please;
http://www.notessimo.net/page/browse/songs.html//notessimo2/times-end-r69860?old=1
http://www.notessimo.net/page/browse/songs.html/
/notessimo2/the-efflorescing-dragon-r72409?old=1
(I did give you both old player links as both songs are ruined by the new player.)

In hindsight I didn’t realize how quiet the bass was (I had thought it was very well crafted too, sad days). I wish I could have the best of both worlds, a loud kick and loud bass but notessimo just isn’t built for that kind of thing. In fact, I didn’t care as much for the main melody line as much as the kick-bass combo (kinda ironic there). I’ll probably have to return to that bass in a later song that’s more original so I can even it out a little more.

I actually listen to the song beforehand to make sure which player it sounds better in. Ace’s songs typically sound better in the new player.

I’ll…get to them…

2 Likes

truth

2 Likes

TFB, criticize Organ Donor.

Hey! That’s my song! >:L

^
But TFB needs to criticize your song.

No he doesn’t.

<<FINE! -.- --

TFB, criticize Dubstep Attempt #3!

Link.

Dis guy be lazy. Anyways, like carrot said, I’m not criticizing any song without a link. It just - I may pick the wrong one, etc.

And to QVX, who has either been longing to see this critique or completely forgetting about the request:

Time’s End:
Flute got really weird when it cut out for the English horn. The glocks could’ve been used in a more innovative way throughout the song, but didn’t change. As I listened through, I thought, “man that glock could’ve been used a lot better than just a copy of the original riff.” Then the quarter note strings came in. It sounded odd altogether the note choices. I saw what you were going for, but it didn’t end up working. Any of the short notes that cut off are really bugging me throughout this song (I’m listening and criticizing). The cut-offs don’t fit the mood of the beginning. Some of them are okay - like when the english horn and flute did it together, but overall the song is legato. At about 4 minutes I notice repetition. I think it’s the glocks. Most of these runs sound reused.
Completely, this song creates a great legato feel and the quiet parts are great, but the recycling of melodies and cutoff notes ruin some of the best moments.
3/5

The Efflorescing Dragon:
I remember first listening to this when it was featured. I thought “Holy shit here we go” when the guitars came in. That feel was great. The drum runs were great. I remember overall the drums in this song being greatly balanced and perfect for the feel. The metal guitar runs were okay.
Then Sheet 10. You have this amazing build up to a chorus. The chorus is shit. The metal guitars notes are terrible and rhythm don’t fit with the melody. The bass in the chorus is really lacking compared the verse. The strings are okay, but even in the chorus the drums really aren’t that great/innovative.
The guitar solo was awkward considering I had to listen for the guitar - I want to hear it, not have to listen for it. Perhaps making them louder would have helped, but notessimo’s guitar solo techniques have never really been mastered.
Overall, the song is ruined by rhythm rather than melody, and the balance seems to be lost in key parts of the song, ruining the entire feel of the song for me. I never really liked this song, expressed even in my feed.
2.5/5

TFB
QVX

The Efflorescing Dragon:
I remember first listening to this when it was featured. I thought “Holy shit here we go” when the guitars came in. That feel was great. Glad that worked out. The drum runs were great. I remember overall the drums in this song being greatly balanced and perfect for the feel. The metal guitar runs were okay. What made them “not good”?
Then Sheet 10. You have this amazing build up to a chorus. Wait for it… The chorus is shit. It’s always the chorus…i’ve seen this WAY too many time’s in my song criticisms…i just have no idea why or what i’m doing wrong…The metal guitars notes are terrible and rhythm don’t fit with the melody The rhythm part i understand now that i’m listening with that in mind, but i still don’t see why the metal guitar notes were horrible…The bass in the chorus is really lacking compared the verse. I knew that one…it was the last thing i put in though and i tried at least 10 things before i gave up and used that…The strings are okay, I was hoping for something more epic for the strings IMO…unfortunately i was limited by my composition ability -.- but even in the chorus the drums really aren’t that great/innovative. Ha, i was waiting for that one too…might’ve been me being lazy :expressionless:
The guitar solo was awkward considering I had to listen for the guitar - I want to hear it, Sounded too empty without the background guitars…accidentally made them too loud…facepalm not have to listen for it. Perhaps making them louder would have helped, but notessimo’s guitar solo techniques have never really been mastered.
Overall, the song is ruined by rhythm rather than melody, That’s a good thing to hear at least, i’m trying to work on my melodies etc before i go back to focusing on drumming…hence why my drumming has been repetitive and copied recently…seriously…go back through and look at all the duplicating i did… and the balance seems to be lost in key parts of the song, ruining the entire feel of the song for me. Overall i messed up the chorus again which caused a chain reaction… I never really liked this song, expressed even in my feed. Yeah, fair enough.
2.5/5 Ouch.

Time’s End:
Flute got really weird when it cut out for the English horn. Fair point. The glocks could’ve been used in a more innovative way throughout the song, but didn’t change. That was one thing i knew about, and worried about the whole time…i could never come up with any alternative though, i just couldn’t think of anything :confused: As I listened through, I thought, “man that glock could’ve been used a lot better than just a copy of the original riff.” Yup. Then the quarter note strings came in. It sounded odd altogether the note choices. In what way were they odd? I saw what you were going for, but it didn’t end up working. Any of the short notes that cut off are really bugging me throughout this song (I’m listening and criticizing). In the entire song, or just the chorus (Sheets 3 and 6)? Also, is it just me or do you have something against pauses. The cut-offs don’t fit the mood of the beginning. Some of them are okay - like when the english horn and flute did it together, but overall the song is legato. Yay :3 At about 4 minutes I notice repetition. I think it’s the glocks. Yup, tried to fix that…couldn’t though… Most of these runs sound reused. Yup.
Completely, this song creates a great legato feel and the quiet parts are great, That’s what i was aiming for :3 but the recycling of melodies Ran out of inspiration :frowning: I can only seem to do half a song before it all just collapses… and cutoff notes Are you meaning the instruments that just cut out between sheets? or something else? ruin some of the best moments.
3/5 Hmm…just out of curiosity…what is your favorite song of mine?

Also…i remembered…i was just being patient.

I think he might not like pauses, he indirectly implied it in one of my songs.

Sounds like he is not sure how he could ever love a pause.’
Though it could possibly be about consistency…

The “cutoff” notes I refer to are the non-legato notes that end before the next note with of the same instruments begins i.e. quarter note flute, quarter note rest, quarter note flute.

In response to pauses, they can be good when used correctly. Typically a pause can be used either as the build-down from an energetic portion or a build-up to a part. I don’t remember the exact song you quoted me from, Blar, but I remember that I liked the pauses in it.

1 Like

Lilium.

TFB, criticize this:

EDIT: And these…

Sailor of Time

Strawberry Crisis!!

Game Over:
Instrument choice is odd. Notes are on but the end should be much quieter than the start.

Sailor of Time:
Truthfully the biggest I see is the balance of your arrangement. The harmony (the running notes) starts off loud then gets really really soft but you neglect that chance. The bass is as well too quiet. Then the running notes change instruments while in the song the sound stays almost the same. While all the notes are correct, the balance within the song needs to be corrected.

Strawberry Crisis:
Don’t know where you got those beginning synths from. Bass should’ve included the metal guitar too, its too soft without it. When the melody came in the background should’ve gotten a little quieter. The background was either incorrect in Sheet 5 or just too loud altogether.

Seeing as QVX has a pretty smart thing going on here with his comments on the criticism, I might as well do the same since I also have things to say.

Game Over:
Instrument choice is odd. Notes are on but the end should be much quieter than the start. Not much to say about that, I’d have to agree with the volume issue.

Sailor of Time:
Truthfully the biggest I see is the balance of your arrangement. The harmony (the running notes) starts off loud then gets really really soft but you neglect that chance. The bass is as well too quiet. Then the running notes change instruments while in the song the sound stays almost the same. While all the notes are correct, the balance within the song needs to be corrected. I’m actually shocked that you said the bass was too quiet, I thought it was too loud at some parts. As for going from loud to quiet, it was due to the fact that I could not exceed 300% and was rushing so I decided not to stack. I might’ve changed the volume of the background instruments to fit the piano, but as I said, I rushed. And about the switching to a piano, it was because the instrument DID change in the song, but I couldn’t find an instrument that sounded a lot like the Rhodes.

Strawberry Crisis:
Don’t know where you got those beginning synths from. I got them from the song xD. May have been a little loud though, since it should be subtle. Bass should’ve included the metal guitar too, its too soft without it. Ok I’ll admit it, the bass was quiet. When the melody came in the background should’ve gotten a little quieter. The background was either incorrect in Sheet 5 or just too loud altogether. Well since it was not incorrect, it was probably loud. I was actually expecting you to say that the Tenor Sax was not a good instrument to use, the transition from 6 to 7 was bad, and it loops poorly. I personally felt that Sheet 5 was ok, other than that Tenor Sax.

I think one of my issues is non-subtlety. I suck at not being subtle. I try to have all the instruments balance so you can hear all of them, but I also want to be true to the original. That causes some volume issues between the instruments themselves. I end putting the wrong instrument in the front. As for the instrumentation, I pretty much change it based on the mood of the song and the instrumentation of the song. It’s quite normal for me to do this on a PC-98 song and is usually intentional.

TFB, criticize this: http:/www.notessimo.net/page/browse/songs.html/_/metal-rock/rock/pentatonic-rock-with-xylophones-r72740 .