THE NEW FEATURE SONGS THREAD

Then how do we allow downvotes to even affect voting at all? The point of the system of having downvotes count against a song is so that people could choose either one and feel they helped the song out, in either direction. Also, it allows for users to choose both to abstain without an unnecessary “abstain” option which would further clutter the poll. And on top of all that, what happens when a song gets ten yes votes and ten no votes at the same time? The current system works because we are not featuring a whole ton of songs, but it doesn’t work because none have been featured yet. I think an alternate system is in order.

An alternate idea:
Majority vote. A song needs 2/3s of the total votes it garners over a certain period of time to be positive over negative to be featured. A song would need to achieve a minimum number of total votes (yes/no) within the period of time or it would not be considered anymore and would be taken off the poll. An abstain option in that voting system would be necessary to increase the total number of votes without changing the overall ratio. Thoughts?

3 Likes

Could give it a go.

Maybe downvotes shouldn’t be an option.

That wouldn’t help, if you weren’t able to down vote then they just wouldn’t vote.

What if we have 10 total votes (that have to be cast before a certain time if necessary), and if, say, 8 out of those 10 are “yes” votes, then the song is featured? Those numbers can be adjusted, too, if more or less people seem to be voting.
Or:
We could have like a week long voting period for each song and it has to have a certain number of votes, positive or negative, to be considered. 2/3s confirmation features the song. Basically the exact same thing you said.

Also, what about anonymous voting? That way people wouldn’t feel any pressure about voting for a certain option when they know everyone can see it. That might be stopping some people from voting now.

2 Likes

Perhaps stay with the same system. Maybe they shouldn’t be featured? (To be honest most of these are in the middle for me on featuring.)
However, I do agree with lowering the votes required. I’d say 8 (The highest vote count is 6. (10+6)/2=8)
Also, anonymous voting opens the polls to trolls and bots.

Basically, we need more samples (songs) before we choose to completely change the system.

2 Likes

With the 2/3rds of all votes thing, there isn’t much difference between abstain and voting no, they would both hinder the song’s potential feature. Therefore, you may as well just rename them, ‘Yes’ ‘probably not’ and ‘no’. Point being in that case, if any 4 people abstained and everyone else said yes, the answer would by default be no (as 16 votes most likely won’t be acquired).

Timed voting periods would be hard to keep up with in my opinion from both our standpoint and members standpoint.

I think we should keep the current positive minus negative votes system but just lower the limit a little bit.
That being said, the lower the limit is, the lower the standard of a featured song will be, perhaps we should have a vote on what the limit should be?

Warning: Maths involved here
The following explores the current system with a different limit.
As 13 people have participated in voting:

Possible outcomes at 7 points:
-7 yes, 6 abstain (13 yes, 6 no)
-8 yes, 1 no, 4 abstain (12 yes, 5 no)
-9 yes, 2 no, 2 abstain (11 yes, 4 no)
-10 yes, 3 no
Any more yes’ would mean the song is to be featured

8 points:
-8 yes, 5 abstain (13 yes, 5 no)
-9 yes, 1 no, 3 abstain (12 yes, 4 no)
-10 yes, 2 no, 1 abstain (11 yes, 3 no)

9 points:
-9 yes, 4 abstain (13 yes, 4 no)
-10 yes, 1 no, 2 abstain (12 yes, 3 no)
-11 yes, 2 no.

10 points:
-10 yes, 3 abstain (13 yes, 3 no)
-11 yes, 1 no, 1 abstain (12 yes, 2 no)

Our current best is 7 points.
-requires 54% of votes, assuming everyone else abstained.
-after 4 no’s the song is rejected
-If only yes and no were options, 77% of votes would have to be yes.
Therefore, 54-77% of votes would have to be yes. (avg: 65.5%)

Out current goal is 10 points
-requires 77% of votes, assuming everyone else abstained.
-after 2 no’s the song is rejected
-If only yes and no were options, 92% of votes would have to be yes.
Therefore, 76-92% of votes would have to be yes. (avg: 84.5%)

If you’re wondering what all this means, basically:
-The smaller percentage is how many yes votes are needed if everyone else abstains rather than saying no.
-The larger percentage is how many yes votes are needed if everyone else votes no rather than abstaining.
If people agree on the 2/3rds of votes thing, go with 7, if people think the standards of featuring should be on par with a DC song, go with 10.

To save time:
If goal is 7:
54-77% (avg: 65.5%)

If goal is 8:
62-85% (avg: 73.5%)

If goal is 9:
69-85% (avg: 77%)

If goal is 10:
76-92% (avg: 84.5%)

Lastly i should also mention, this only counts if 13 members vote each time as they have on this poll.
If there are less people voting, the percentages will go up, if more people vote, they’ll go down.

1 Like

Rock Rebellion
I nominate dis

1 Like

The Circus Galop

I guess I’ll nominate this oldie.

Charon Ablaze

1 Like

The biggest issue with this process is that people are not revoting to vote for everything. At least abstain, pls.

I don’t see this working…

The standards are too high and our willingness to elect feature songs is weakened by the continual need to recast votes. Adopting a monthly poll with lower standards (seven affirmative votes after deductions) would solve our problems.

2 Likes

Please, avoid assuming every song on this list is feature-worthy. One song on this list has gotten featured, which means the process works, however lenient we choose the be. Just because you think a song is feature-worthy does not automatically mean everyone else does. For example, Star thinks the Still Alive cover should be featured. I do not. This means the process is actually WORKING, with features able to come out of this, even with the “high standards.”

You cannot say the standards are too high without proper evidence. Currently, the amount of features per nomination are 1 out of 13. And ANYONE can nominate their song (See: Words of Wisdom). So with a completely open nomination system, I’d imagine 1/13 is a pretty high number of features per nominations.
I do agree with you that the major flaw in this seems to be the recasting votes. I’d still give it some time.

I didn’t mean it like that…

enlighten me

This is definitely bad decision if I want to get a song featured, as it is really late in the poll and not many people will vote, but it was one of my last songs and I feel it should’ve been considered but wasn’t due to a feature drought that went on back then. Here:

EDIT